Right now, coming together looks very different. COVID-19 has changed our world as we know it, but the needs of people living with Parkinson’s have not disappeared.
The walk is going to look different. This year, what used to be Walk-It for Parkinson’s has now become “WALK THE BLOCK for Parkinson’s” for 2020.
- Once you register, donate to yourself first! When your friends, family and co-workers see your commitment, they will know how important this is to you and will support you too!
- Sometimes it is more convenient to fundraise in person (where possible). Pledge forms are available online at walktheblock.ca or by calling 1-888-851-7376.
Asking for Donations:
We understand that COVID19 has impacted people in various ways and that you may have reservations asking for donations. We are all feeling the financial fears and burdens at this time. We recognize that continued support comes in all different ways. Don’t forget, people donate and show their support because they care about YOU and they care about YOUR cause, YOUR fight, YOUR passion. This year, more than ever before, it’s up to YOU to show your community that you walk to support the fight against Parkinson’s Disease.
- Let donors know who you’re walking your block for this September by updating your photo and story on your personal page. This will help your supporters see the value of their donation. Remember, they are donating because they care about YOU and your connection to Parkinson’s.
- Include a message about the walk with a link to your personal donation page in your email signature
- Start a family, friends and co-workers challenge by asking 10 people to each ask 10 other people to give a gift of $10, this can easily add up to $1,000 total!
- Technology isn’t always our best friend, but did you know that the average online donation in 2018 was $147. Online giving is fast, easy and secure!
- Ask your workplace to support your walk! Consider asking them for a corporate sponsorship or allowing a dress down day where all donations collected are donated to your walk! Some employers even have a program where they will match donations made. Check with your HR department! If none of those work, consider asking your workplace to put in a team to the walk! Invite your co-workers to walk as part of your team not physically but together in Spirit! They can all walk their blocks!
- Share the link to your personal page on social media! Make sure you share a little about why you’re walking!
- Consider using social media to fundraise for your walk! On Facebook, create a post and from the three dots choose “Support Non-profit” then search for Parkinson Society Southwestern Ontario. Tell people why you’re looking for support and click “post”. Then, just send us a quick email to let us know that you want the funds raised on Facebook to go towards your walk.
- Physical distancing means that we might have to skip our family reunions and BBQ’s, so in place of getting together, send a “missing you” email to your family. Update them on why you will be walking your block in September, and provide them a link to your personal donation page.
- Create a fun challenge between family and friends! See who can be the best dressed or raise the most support or who can walk the farthest! You don’t have to walk together physically to still have fun!