Due to the State of Emergency declared in Ontario, we have made the decision to close our office and have our staff work remotely from home.
NOTE: Calls will be directed to voicemail with staff checking messages during work hours.
PSSO remains committed to serving the Parkinson’s community as we monitor the situation. While many of us will be practicing social distancing and/or self-isolation, we encourage people to continue to connect with one another by phone or email. It is important in preventing loneliness as in-person social interactions become more limited. PSSO will be looking at ways to increase contact with our community by phone, particularly for those who are most vulnerable, during this time.
Effective immediately through April 30, 2020, Parkinson Society Southwestern Ontario has suspended Support Groups and all in-person meetings including Louder, Clearer; Parkinson Music Choir and committee meetings. We strongly suggest that clients refrain from all group activities including exercise groups they may be attending.
The Living Well Conferences, Hair Affair and Signatures (London & Waterloo Region) have been cancelled for 2020. For those who have already registered/booked, our office will be in contact with you with regards to a refund.
Our Annual General Meeting scheduled for April 15th will be re-scheduled for a later date.
We will continue to monitor the situation and inform you of programming decisions for May onward as more information becomes available.
To protect yourself from COVID-19, the Government of Canada recommends the following precautions:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; use alcohol-based sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm; dispose of any used tissues in a lined wastebasket and wash your hands
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Clean high-touch surfaces frequently with regular household cleaners or diluted bleach (1 part bleach to 9 parts water)
For more details and updates, visit the Government of Canada at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html#a2 or the World Health Organization at https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
Parkinson’s Disease-Specific Precautions
- Check your medications. Take inventory and reorder any that are running low.
- Talk to your doctor about the pneumonia vaccine. Seniors are most at risk to develop COVID-19 symptoms that can lead to the development of pneumonia.
- Stock your Aware in Care kit in the event you need to educate a health care professional about your PD needs. Order one here.
- Have your Medical Alert Card handy. Keep it with you at all times. Print one here.